5th July 2019
We realise that if you want to own any of our publications you need to know what each covers and also have an assessment of the quality of the writing and the production. To this end we are having the series independently reviewed and we will publish the full review here once it has been produced.
Meanwhile we present a synopsis of each volume below:
Lyminge a history Series
The series comprises eight volumes up to and including 2016. The style and format of each volume is the same, being A5 in size in bound using Perfect Bounding* and usually around 100 pages.
* Perfect Binding gives a result similar to paperback books. National Geographic is one example of this type. Source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bookbinding
LYMINGE a history Part one :
Published in May 2011, sells for £5.00 (whilst current stocks last).
Introduction-being the first volume in the series the introduction explains the raison d'état behind the series and lays out our ambitions.
Chapter 1 - Memories of Shops etc. in Lyminge during 1930-1940’s
The chapter consists of edited transcripts of interviews between the author, Alistair Bailey, and some of the residents; all of whom were or are long term residents. As it unfolds the reader is taken on a tour of Lyminge. The chapter is fully illustrated with contemporary photographs.
Chapter 2 - Geological History - a Lyminge perspective
Written by Andrew Coleman a professional geologist and also resident of Lyminge. The chapter describes the geological development of the area in an epic journey from the depths of time to the present day. If you thought chalk is just chalk then you are in for a pleasant surprise.
Chapter 3 - A Review of Previously Published Works by Rosemary Piddock. Rosemary has produced for our edification and entertainment a synopsis of the major printed works in which Lyminge looms large. Illustrations abound as she extracts comments and tales from these volumes.
Chapter 4 - The Price Family, Lyminge Parish Church incumbents 1776-1853; by Duncan Harrington. Covering three generations of the priests incumbents of the parish church St. Mary & St. Ethelburga. Forget Trollope, here is the real thing albeit writ small in a parish but none the less the reader is given a spotlight into the world of eighteenth and nineteenth century clergy.
LYMINGE a history Part two :
Published in November 2011, sells for £5.00 (whilst current stocks last).
Preface and Dedication-being the second volume in the series.
Chapter 5 -The Making of the Landscape around Lyminge
Philip Wilson an expert arborist takes us through the development of the trees which compliments Chapter one’s coverage of the geology. Philip also delivers two superb walks which when undertaken with his text gives great insight into the nature of trees and why they grow where they do.
Chapter 6 - The Discovery of a Jutish Cemetery in Lyminge in 1953
Taken from the notes and memories of Edney Eyres Rosemary Piddock has put together the history of the Jutish Cemetery dig. Illustrated with both contemporary site pictures and recent photographs of the finds.
Chapter 7 - A Bell Ringer, the Jubilee Tree, Rogation and Lyminge Charities.
A collation of historical delights recording some of the personalities, activities and traditions of the parish. This time Duncan Harrington has drawn on his own in depth local knowledge and records from our archive.
Chapter 8 - Lyminge Fauna - parts 1 and 2
To fulfil our ambition of recording Lyminge and life in all its aspects we were very glad to receive this contribution for our local pest control expert Ed Allan. These chapters will be further expanded in future volumes describing the fauna native to Lyminge and its interaction with our society.
LYMINGE a history Part three:
Published in April 2013, sells for £5.00 (whilst current stocks last).
Preface and Dedication-being the third volume in the series.
Chapter 9 -Battle of Britain 1940 through the eyes of Bob Bailey
Seen through the eyes of an Acrise farmer and taken from his war time diary, Bob Bailey takes us through the war describing the problems of the land, the rationing system, the preparation against the expected German Invasion, the follow up preparations of the Allied Army before their invasion and the camaraderie of the British people during the perils of war .
Chapter 10 - Hitler’s Invasion Plans
As a follow up to the previous chapter Ron Stilwell has generously provided us with an extract from his forthcoming book The Defence of Thanet and East Kent (1939-1945) covering the German’s plans for Operation Sealion the invasion of Britain, the British preparations to meet the invasion and he has added a synopsis of a war game by British and German commanders in 1974 to determine the most probable outcome. Ron’s book was published in 2014 and is available from the author via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chapter 11 - Bob Webb’s War
Bob Webb was born in Lyminge and still lives here leading an active life. He has help us previously in describing the shops in the parish in Part one of the histories. This chapter deals with the period from when he went to war in 1942 to his return home in 1945. His wartime army service took him to Egypt, the invasion of Italy in 1943 at Salerno, and then again at Anzio on to Monte Cassino and thence up the coast of the Adriatic to the Gothic Line in 1944 and on to Trieste and lake Garda at the close of the war. During his service Bob was wounded twice.
Chapter 12 - Bombs, bed bugs and bullets
Anna Rosa Auten, the youngest daughter of Giacomo and Georgina Bersini. She was born in Milan in 1929 and was therefore 15 years old in 1944 when she and her sister started their trek north through Italy following in the wake of her brother who was still serving in the Italian divisions attached to the retreating German forces. Anna biographical account follows this young bewildered girl during the final two years of the war and acts as a counter weight to Bob Webb’s account. After the war Anna came to England married and lived in Etchinghill working at the geriatric hospital until its closure.
Chapter 13 - Ted Burren’s War Time memories
This chapter is based on a memorandum written by Ted Burren. Ted was a master craftsman carpenter who worked for J J Clayton during and after the war. His memorandum covers his time as a young man during the war when he was first a sea cadet and then later in the Observer Corp.
LYMINGE a history Part four:
Published in October 2013, sells for £5.00 (whilst current stocks last).
Preface and Dedication-being the fourth volume in the series.
Chapter 14 - Machine Breakers of Lyminge
“The Autumn and Winter of 1830 saw some of the worst ever disturbances in rural England to become known as the ‘Swing Riots’.” Thus begins Jill Chambers fascinating account of the rise of the agriculture workers against the introduction of farm machinery which they saw as endangering their livelihoods. The chapter recalls the local men, their practices, trials and the outcome of the riots.
Chapter 15 - The Larger Mammals in and around Lyminge
Ed Allan presents his third and final part of his review of mammals that can be found in and around the Lyminge Area. From Foxes, Bats, Badgers, Otters, Deer and on to Wild Boar. Ed has packed an incredible amount of detail including photographs.
Chapter 16 - Lyminge Observer Corps Post
Here you will find Duncan Harrington has taken us into a brief foray into the history of the Royal Observer Corp and its Post in Lyminge. From its roots in WW1 through to its role during the ‘Cold War’ we learn about function and activities including the men of Lyminge who served and help defeat the bombers and flying bombs of the enemy.
Chapter 17 - Early Keyboard Instruments
An early account by Andrew Garrett of Key Board Instruments the renown musical instrument makes of North Lyminge covering the period 1963 to 1967.
Chapter 18 - Sibton in the parish of Lyminge and the Sawkins Family Part 1
Duncan Harrington’s account of the Sawkins Family and their descendents in Lyminge during the 16th and 17th century.
Chapter 19 - Bedingfield Charity some further notes
Following on from chapter 7 published in Volume 2 of this series we have here further details from Duncan of the activities of the Bedingfield Charity Trustees and how it helped finance the running of John Valder’s school in Lyminge and the account he gave to the Commissioners for the Education of the Poor in the early 19th century.
Chapter 20 - Excavating Anglo Saxon Lyminge
This chapter offers and introduction to the phenomenally successful archaeological digs run by Dr Gabor Thomas and Dr Alexandra Knox from their initial digs 2007 to 2012. The chapter includes links to further reading on the topic.
Chapter 21 - Lyminge Park - Collections towards a history
Duncan has provided us with a collection of snippets from history about the manor of Lyminge Park, its early history and some later articles. The author also opens and appeal for further information so we can fill in the gaps and move towards a greater history of Lyminge Park.
LYMINGE a history Part five:
Published in July 2014, sells for £5.00 (whilst current stocks last).
Preface and Dedication-being the fifth volume in the series.
Chapter 22 - Lyminge Men Remembered
This volume is dedicated to the men and parishioners who died during WWI and WWII and whose deaths were caused by enemy action.
The first edition of this volume was published in 2008. Following further research the book has been completely revised and re-laid out. This second edition also includes historical notes on the background of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission memorials and the Buffs (East Kent Regiment) the local infantry regiment.
The volume includes the following sections:
The Men Commemorated
Index to the Men From The First World War
Index to the Men From The Second World War
The History of the Lyminge War Memorial
The First World War
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
Memorials of the First World War
The Buffs (East Kent Regiment)
Remembrance - Poppies and a Hymn
Final thoughts on the First World War
The Second World War
Memorials of the Second World War
Bibliography & Further Reading
LYMINGE a history Part six:
Published in November 2014, sells for £6.00 (whilst current stocks last).
Preface and Dedication-being the sixth volume in the series. In this volume we introduce a coloured fold out illustrating the content of chapters 23 and 24. We also include coloured images from the other chapters on the inner cover pages and the back cover.
Chapter 23 - Thomas Hill's Map of Lyminge, 1685
This finely decorated and most beautiful map of the village, more specifically, of the land belonging to Timothy Bedingfield, is a fantastic example of a seventeenth-century estate map. Dr. Alex Kent has analyses the map and fully research the content. The results of his formidable research are written up here in a concise and intriguing manner as he uses the map to bring to life the village as it was in the 17th century.
Chapter 24 - Elham Union Workhouse
The first of a two articles on the Elham Valley Union Workhouse that appear in the Lyminge a History series, (see also volume eight). In this chapter Duncan Harrington lays out a brief history of the ancient poor law system leading up to the formation of the Union Workhouses and then moves swiftly on to describe the creation of the local Elham Valley Union Workhouse which was built in Etchinghill.
Chapter 25 - Beatrice Coates
Rosemary Piddock one of our most productive local history researchers and noted speaker investigates an unusual grave headstone from the Lyminge Graveyard. Dating from 1937 the tale includes the crash of the Capricornus flying boat in the Beaujolais Mountains in France. Miss Coates from Lyminge was a lone passenger on the flight survived the crash but was so badly hurt she succumbed to her injuries and died a few days later. Subsequently the French police in searching the crash site came across a cache of gold bullion.
Chapter 26 - Elham Valley Nailbourne
This chapter is a joint effort by Andrew Coleman and Duncan Harrington researching the source and composition of our local water source. The chapter describes the rising of the bourne at the site of Ethelburga’s Well head and its passage along the valley to join with the Great Stour at Plucks Gutter near West Stourmouth.
Chapter 27 - Longage Farm Gates
Duncan adds to his tally of articles as he investigates the fate of a set of gates that once spanned Longage Hill. One story was that they and came of worse when in collision with a Canadian Army Truck during the Second World War.
Chapter 28 - Childhood Recollections of Lyminge
Mrs Margaret Gillmore has provided us with some recollections from her childhood in Lyminge during the Second World War and over the subsequent years painting a picture of life in Lyminge including the filming of a scene from Kenneth More’s film “Raising a Riot” from 1955.
Chapter 29 - Who Did You Sleep with Last Night?
Ed Allan is back on the trial of the history of our local fauna here he delves into our bedding, and other snug locations within our houses, where some unusual if small house guests set up home. It is odd to realise that these creatures have been around for over 400 million years - so is it them of us who are the invaders?
Chapter 30 - The Earliest Parish Registers
Chapter 31 - Anglo-Saxon Lyminge: Excavations in 2013
Lyminge a History Part 7 £6.00
Lyminge Excavations 2014: Dr G Thomas and Dr A Knox
Interim report on the University of Reading excavations at Lyminge, Kent.
See photos on inside front cover, inside back cover.
The Hogben Map in the Village Car Park: Duncan Harrington
The map created in 1760 by Thomas Hogben sets out the lands belonging to the vicarage and glebes (pieces of land serving as part of a clergyman’s benefice and providing income) of Lyminge united with the chapels of Stanford and Paddlesworth together with the lands belonging to the Court Lodge.
Thomas Hogben (1702-1774): John Foad
This interesting article on Kentish sundials, which is not specific to Lyminge, tells of the sundials made by Thomas Hogben of Smarden, mentioned in the above chapter.
Wheelbarrow Town: David McDine
This is an intriguing conjecture on the origins of a local place name.
See also photos on inside back cover and back cover.
The Queen, The Virgin and the Body Snatchers: Robert Baldwin
How Lyminge Parish Church erroneously acquired its current dedication to Saint Ethelburga.
The clarification of the confusion between Ethelburga and Saint Eadburgh is detailed, each of great significance in the early history of Lyminge.
A Grave Mystery or a Stone Unturned: Michael Chisnall
A detective story concerning one of two gravestones from the Methodist cemetery regarding George Broadridge and his wife Susanna and their three daughters. George died in 1874 and Susanna in 1850.
The old Methodist Burial Ground: Duncan Harrington
The second gravestone, which had been recently retrieved from number 3 Wesley Terrace, intrigued the author sufficiently to research this further. The stone is dedicated to Richard William, (died aged 20 in 1854) and Elizabeth Ann Rigden (died aged 12 in 1853) son and daughter of Edward and his wife Jane Rigden.
More Childhood Memories of Lyminge: Phipps and Harrington
This article is from the recollections of Douglas Phipps from an interview made by Duncan Harrington on 24 February 2015 and expanded with research into Douglas’ family history.
Old Ordnance Maps of Lyminge: Alex Kent
This fascinating examination of the village is seen through a series of Ordnance Survey maps showing Lyminge in 1873, 1898, 1907 and 1945.
The chapter also gives the origins of Ordnance Survey.
Spiders in and around your home: Ed Allan
Arachnaphobes look away now! This chilling description of local spiders is enough to make you head for the hills.
The oil lamps lighting Lyminge streets: Duncan Harrington
Further to the article in Lyminge a History part 2, Chapter 7, concerning Albert Tanton who was the Lyminge lamp-lighter, this chapter elaborates further through the minutes of the Parochial Committee on the oil lamps being lit in the village, between 1920 and 1933.
Westenhanger Castle and the plight of a widow:
In the late 14th Century, Lettice Crioll, a widow, endured being terrorised for four hours by Sir John Cornwaille after he tricked his way into her fortified Kent manor dressed as a friar and then let 40 armed men inside.
Lyminge a History Part 8 £7.00
Davison’s Mill, Stelling Minnis: David McDine
Known as Davison’s Mill after three generations of millers of that name, Stelling Minnis still retains its fine smock mill, a rare survivor, which reached its 150th anniversary in 2016.
Lyminge Tithes: Duncan Harrington
This chapter lays out the history of the payment of tithes in Lyminge throughout the ages.
Elham Poor Law Union and Lyminge: Deborah Collins
The Elham Poor Law came into being as a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act to tackle the problems caused by the changes in agricultural practices, particularly relevant to Kent, which has increased the number of persons requiring poor relief. This chapter provides some insight into the impact that the Elham Poor Law Union had on the village of Lyminge.
Sibton Park Estate: Mike Osborne
The history of the estate is recounted from the first mention of Sibton in documents from the arrival of the Normans in 1066. The estate saw many changes over the years, with new owners, tenants and various parts of the estate being sold. Sibton House has seen several changes of use, including a School in 1949 and Holiday Property Bond in 1998, which is still the case in the 21st Century.
Water supply to Lyminge and the surrounding villages: Ron Martin
The information in this chapter is taken from a study which records the history of water undertakings from early times to the 20th Century. St Ethelburga’s well gets a mention too, as Lyminge inhabitants obtained water from this source, certainly in the 7th Century, and right up to 1905.
The Old Church Hall: Duncan Harrington
Mrs Finn-Kelcey laid the foundation stone of this building on 11 March 1932. Some large donations were given as well as public subscription, fetes and a mile of pennies. It was officially opened by the Archbishop of Canterbury, His Grace
Dr Cosmo Gordon Lang, on 18 May 1932 and cost £1,521 7s 9d including furnishings. There is a mystery as to when the hall was demolished, but the new Village Hall that we know today was opened on 15 May 1982.
Spencer Weigall: Rosemary Piddock
Born in Kensington on 14 January 1861, his grave prompted research by the Lyminge Family History and Research Group. He led an interesting life as a missionary in Africa, and lived in Lyminge for a short time before his death on 1 July 1925.
Richard Uttokcestre: Duncan Harrington
The chapter tells the intriguing story of this wealthy cleric, parson of Lyminge, who was recorded in the late 14th Century as being an outlaw and all his goods were seized to the value of £27 14s 8d. Well over £20,000 in today’s money.
The New Village Hall Part 1: Duncan Harrington
The Village Hall was constructed on a parcel of land, part of Jubilee Field, Woodland Road. It was set up as a charitable trust and Lyminge parish council made a lease for 99 years at a peppercorn rent to the trustees of the Lyminge Village Hall. The Hall was opened on 15 May 1982 by Lady Brabourne.
Lyminge archaeological dig 2015 – extracted from the dig blog
The archaeology team returned to Lyminge for four weeks in August to try to answer some questions that had arisen from the previous year’s excavation. Were they successful in their quest?
Lyminge a History Part 9 £7.00
This book is presented as a tribute to Duncan Harrington, the original inspirer behind the series of “Lyminge a history” books, who has been a continuous contributor over the last decade.
Neolithic polished flint axe-head discovered near Lyminge:
This article is about a polished flint axe-head found on a byway near Lyminge which points to a Neolithic farmer, offering evidence of the first indication of permanent settled life in the Lyminge area.
Recollections of growing up in Lyminge: Mrs Margaret Anne Older
Mrs Older, born in 1924, recounts her personal reminiscences depicting her life and time in Lyminge.
Foundations of Lyminge Bowls Club: Duncan Harrington
We learn about the creation and maintenance of the village Bowls Club.
An Early Village Hall: Duncan Harrington
This describes a mysterious wooden village hall that people remember existing but nobody can state when it was built or when it was dismantled.
Sword wielding Vicar Slays Chaplain: Duncan Harrington
To reveal the story would be such a shame. Suffice to say, “All is not what it seems!”
Marquis de la Belinaye: Mike Foxon
We may wonder why this aristocratic Frenchman is buried in a grave in Lyminge. The headstone tells us that he died on April 10th 1904 aged 59. His mother, Margaret Wright, was the daughter of John Wright of Kelvedon Hall in Essex and sister of Sir William Lawson of Brough Hall in Yorkshire.
Lyminge Allotments: Duncan Harrington
The research is detailed and wide ranging with wonderful examples of local concern and willingness to offer land for social benefit. The accompanying maps and charts are superb.
Who’s been living in my house? M. Chisnall
Research was undertaken by the author into the erstwhile inhabitants of his house in Lyminge. There is absorbing insight of aristocratic dissipation and sadness of the Sugden family.
Chapter 63: Lyminge Worthies: John James Clayson J.P. Duncan Harrington
Clayson’s building firm erected much of Lyminge’s 20th Century buildings, but perhaps more worthy of note is the generous service he gave to the community, in particular to the Methodist Church.
Secret War of Lyminge Woman: Rosemary Piddock
Gladys Harris spent her war service at Bletchley Park and, in common with many of our unsung heroes and heroines, kept silent for many decades about her role there, when their code of silence was released in the mid 1970s.
Runaways from around Lyminge: Duncan Harrington
In the times of George III, six people vanished from, or near, Lyminge between 1768 and 1796. Wives were sold at markets and indentured boys and servants were often very far from happy, although there is no direct evidence that they were the victims of bullying. Several articles from the Kentish Gazette on runaways are reproduced within this chapter.
The history of Lyminge Library: Author unknown
(Edited by Duncan Harrington)
Library services began in Lyminge possibly in the 1940s. Several sites were used in the ensuing years and moved in 1987 to the old Lyminge Railway Station that we know today. Lyminge Library holds a special place in the close-knit village. Long may it continue.
Lyminge and the Elham Valley Railway: John Buss
The railway was opened in 1887 before being closed after 60 years of use in 1947. The first nine miles were completed to Barham, taking almost 3 years, over budget and not without many obstacles on the way. In WWI the War Office took over the network for troops transport and in WWII it was also used for military purposes, involving alterations to the track to carry two twelve inch guns and a massive eighteen inch howitzer called “The Boche Buster”.
A brief history of this house, formerly 2 alms cottages and now a private dwelling.
Lyminge a History Part 10 £7.00
An address given by Dr Gabor Thomas at the unveiling of a new interpretation board on Tayne Field Saturday 27th October 2018 is quoted. The site excavated between 2012-2015 revealed evidence of Anglo-Saxon royal settlement in the 7th Century with footprints of several meeting halls and many finds endorsing the high status of the occupants of the site.
The Lyminge Claw Beaker: John and Rosemary Piddock
The important discovery of a claw beaker during an archaeological dig in Lyminge off Canterbury Road in 1953 when a mushroom shed was being built and the subsequent discovery of a Jutish cemetery is described in this chapter. Several artefacts from this site are on display at Maidstone Museum.
Stelling Minnis Common: David McDine
This chapter describes the historical and recent appearance of the common and its usage and quotes the Kent historian Edward Hasted two hundred years ago describing its inhabitants as being “as rude and wild as the country they live in”.
The First Church in Lyminge: Robert Baldwin
Canon Reverend Robert Charles Jenkins, an antiquarian and Rector of Lyminge Parish Church, carried out excavations in the 19th Century to see if he could find evidence of the Anglo-Saxon dual Monastery founded by Ethelburga, daughter of King Ethelbert of Kent, in 633AD and her burial place. The author asks what did Canon Jenkins find and what is still there to re-discover?
Lyminge raises cash for Irish atrocity victims: Duncan Harrington
Following the bloody rebellion of the Catholics in Ireland in 1641, a collection was made by Lyminge residents to help the beleaguered Protestants, and a copy of who donated and how much is shown.
Elham Rural District Council 1895-1974: John Bowdon
The Elham RDC activities are contained in this chapter and a photograph of the last Councillors in 1974 shows them in front of their offices in Lyminge, now Everest Court, the offices of AgeUK.
Lyminge Clerical Jottings: Duncan Harrington
An eclectic mix of information is contained in this chapter taken from a selection of archives concerning erstwhile Rectors of Lyminge. Reference is made to a lost Parish Register 1544-1676, which was rediscovered in 1860 and given by Rev. R.C. Jenkins to the Library of the British Museum for safekeeping. Do read the section on the advowson of Lyminge and a subsequent court case, details of which can be found in The National Archives amongst the Court of Chancery. The paragraph on Correction in the Church Courts refers to several articles of enquiry dated 1619 to 1620 entered in just one volume of the comperta et detecta (found and revealed) in the Canterbury Consistory and Archdeacon’s Church court books, often known as the bawdy court.
Recollections of Lyminge in the 1930s: Louis Spickett
Fast forward 400 years and Louis Spickett recounts his memories of his life in Lyminge having moved to the village aged 5 in 1930. He tells of a Lyminge then which is still familiar to those who live here now, plus events held, along with some of the gossip of the time.
Skeete Shooting: Duncan Harrington
The gory details of a double murder and a suicide in Skeete in 1940 are recounted, when a retired policeman shot a local farmer as he sat in his van, then returned home to kill his elderly arthritic wife and then turned the gun on himself.
Whatever Happened to St. Ethelburga? – the afterlives of the saints of Lyminge: Robert Baldwin
The whereabouts of the relics of two local female Saints previously buried in the Parish Church of Lyminge until the 11th Century is explored: St Eadburg, originally buried at Minster-in-Thanet, and Queen Aethelburgh, the founder of the dual monastery in Lyminge in the 7th Century. It would seem that the Norman Archbishop of Canterbury, Lanfranc, removed the saints’ relics to Canterbury in the 1080s.
Lyminge Football – An Early History: Duncan Harrington
A photograph on the wall of The Coach and Horses prompted investigation into the Lyminge Football Team. The photograph is undated but believed to be from the season 1907-08. Alan Boughton provided further photos and information as his father and uncles played in the team in the 1920s. A team photo for 1920/21 was taken at the back of the slaughterhouse, while another for 1928/29 was taken at the back of The Coach and Horses. Major A.R. Kelham OBE, DCM played for that team and was late of the Buffs and Egyptian Army. The final photo was taken in Sibton Park early in 1930.
Palm Tree House, Lyminge: FH&RG
The history of this house in Woodland Road was researched by the Family History and Research Group, who uncovered a wealth of detail, including the Tithe Map of 1840 showing that William Sawkins resided at Palm Tree Farm. Other residents in the the following years are listed and the 1891 census reveals that the property was still a farm. It was first described as a house in 1901 and remains so to the current day.